Friday, November 27, 2009

The Choices We Make

So I think I'm getting a little closer on this bike situation.

After much deliberation with myself, as well as analyzing their pluses and minuses for hours on end, I've narrowed it down to two bikes - the 2010 Marin Nail Trail 29er and the 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er.

Marin Nail Trail 29er


Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er



Both of these bikes are built pretty similarly.  I can get the Marin for $1500, or the Stumpy for $1550.  Geometry-wise, the Marin 22" frame has a 640mm effective top tube, but the Specialized 23" frame has a 660mm TT.  The Spec Epic I ride right now has a 640mm TT, but I run a 140mm stem, which I'm trying to get away from.

Both bikes will need some new parts right out of the box to make them "race-worthy", i.e. light weight (24 pounds or less) w/ better quality.  Also, a new wheelset will be purchased for either, and both will go tubeless as soon as I take possession.

Marin Nail Trail 29er Components (and what I'd replace them with):
  • Fox 100mm fork
  • WTB LaserDisc Trail rims laced to Shimano Deore hubs replaced with Mavic C29ssmax wheelset 
  • FSA OS150LX alloy stem replaced with Ritchey WCS 4-Axis stem (in white)
  • House brand alloy handlebar replaced with Ritchey WCS lo-rise bar (in white)
  • FSA SL-280 350mm seatpost replaced with Thomson Elite Setback 400mm post
  • WTB Vigo Comp saddle replaced with Fizik Gobi saddle (in white)
  • Shimano SLX shifters
  • Shimano SLX F Der
  • Shimano XT R Der
  • Shimano Deore-level crankset replaced with Shimano XT crankset
  • Shimano Deore cassette replaced with SRAM PG-990 cassette
  • WTB Prowler 2.1 tires replaced with Maxxis Crossmark 2.1 tires
  • Avid Elixir CR brakes
Approx. weight before:  28.2 lbs
Approx. weight after:  23.8 lbs

Total Cost:  $2,750 (with BRO discounts)

Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29 Components (and what I'd replace them with):
  • RockShox Reba SL 90mm fork (adjustable to 100mm)
  • DTSwiss X450SL rims laced to Shimano Deore Hubs replaced with either Mavic or Roval
  • House brand alloy stem
  • House brand alloy handlebar replaced with Easton Monkeylite SL bar
  • House brand 400mm seatpost
  • Specialized Phenom CrMo saddle
  • SRAM X.7 shifters
  • Shimano SLX F Der
  • SRAM X.9 R Der
  • Shimano Deore-level crankset replaced with Shimano XT crankset
  • Shimano Deore cassette replaced with SRAM PG-990 cassette
  • Specialized FastTrak LK 2.0 tires
  • Avid Elixir R brakes
Approx. weight before:  26.3 lbs
Approx. weight after:  24.0 lbs
Total Cost:  $2,600 (with $200 rebate)

As you can see, the Marin has a little more work that needs to be done to it than the Specialized does.  Also, I believe that the geometry of the Specialized is going to be a little bit more of what I'm looking for - a lean, stretched out cross-country racer.

Plus, some say I'm a brand-whore, but I would argue I just stick to stuff that works for me.  All my basketball shoes are Nike (or Jordan), all my electronics are Sony, and all of my bikes to this point have been Specialized, with exception of my 'cross bike (Kona Jake the Snake).  We've got four Specialized bikes in our garage right now.  For me, I have a level of comfort with Specialized, that I know what I'm getting.  That means a lot to me, and it is very difficult to stray from that.  I have been supremely happy with every Specialized bicycle I have ever owned.

So, all things considered, I'm leaning heavily toward the Stumpjumper over the Marin Nail Trail.  That's not to say the Nail Trail wouldn't be a great bike - I just don't have the comfort level with it that I would have with the Stumpy.

1 comment: