Thursday, October 29, 2009

29ers and The Hot Girlfriend Theory

So I'm in a market for a 29er.  Of course, since I do a lot of MTB racing, it needs to be what I consider a race-compatible bike.  In other words:  quick, fast, and (relatively) lightweight.  Oh, and durable, because I can't afford buying new bikes all the time.

To put this debate into context, my current mountain bike is a 2006 Epic Comp, size XL.  Relatively lightweight, pretty much stock except:
  • Handlebar - upgraded to Easton MonkeyLite XC riser
  • Brakes - upgraded to Formula Oro K24
  • Wheels - upgraded to 2005 Shimano XTR (the double-spoked grey wheels)
These things brought the bike in at a manageable, but not flyweight, 27.2lbs.  Could go lighter, but didn't feel it necessary to spend the dough.  This bike is fast and quick.  Seems to fit the bill already, right?  So why am I looking for a new bike?  Because something about it just...isn't...right.  I feel like I could do better.  My biggest beefs with the bike are (a) the rear shock requires a LOT of maintenance due to constantly being subjected to the elements and (b) my center-of-gravity is just off.  Being 6'-6", the bike "fits"; the seatpost is at its maximum length, I have a 130mm stem on it, and I feel like I'm just sitting on top of the bike, instead of in it.  Tight switchbacks are a near impossibility because of how high my COG is.  So is quickly navigating rough, technical trails.

Here's why I'm looking at 29ers - I am willing to sacrifice a little in the weight department, because a 29er will fit me like a regular 26er will fit someone 6'-0" - there is an inherent increased stability as well as better rotational momentum coupled with shallower attack angles to "float" through bumpy sections of trail.  If I didn't feel the larger wheels would help me, I would just stick with my Epic.  I challenge you to find a better full-suspension race bike in a 26er, especially for sub-$3000.

Now I've been spending a lot of time evaluating my options lately.  Especially looking at the 2010 lineups appearing at Interbike, an obvious choice that has to be made is HARDTAIL v. FULL-SUSPENSION.  Because I've been racing on a full-suspension bike for three years, I think I'm going to have a very hard time with going to a hardtail, regardless of how much the shallower attack angles smooth the trail out.  At the end of the day, the hits your bike takes are absorbed by you, not the shock...it doesn't matter how big the wheels are.  However, full-suspension 29er frames appear to be very burly or aluminum straws duct-taped together (see Niner JET 9).

The next choice that needs to be made is frame material.  Since singlespeeds (God gave man the intelligence to invent the bicycle transmission) and steel or titanium frames are out (don't have the money or desire for a 'boutique' bike), it's down to ALUMINUM v. CARBON FIBER.  Since everyone I know that has a carbon fiber 29er has broken it, along with the fact that carbon frames run a pound lighter for $2k more, I'm thinking aluminum makes the most practical sense.

So that does it.  Full-suspension, aluminum 29er it is.  We're going to see if we can't find one to test out...

...which one of my friends just so happens to have sitting around for me to demo.  I borrowed a 2008 Intense Spider 29 from a buddy that just picked up a Turner Sultan.  Sweet looking bike, and well taken care of.  Came with a RockShox Reba Race fork, Fox RP23 shock, XT front der, and Thomson Elite setback post.  Sweet.  He also let me borrow a set of wheels.  Now I just had to move the rest of the components from my bike to the Intense to go test ride the sucka this fall yet.


Which brings me to the "Hot Girlfriend Theory"...

As I'm building the Intense up, I'm looking at my Epic frame, in Ferrari-like red, stripped bare, hanging on the wall.  I was struck with a feeling of genuine sadness or remorse.

See, it's like the hot girlfriend.  Looks awesome, fun to be on (innuendo...), and can have some great memories with her.  However, you come to the realization that your life may be more stable and fulfilling if you were in a relationship with a girl that was a better person, and more like you.  So you decide to break up with the hot girlfriend (because let's face it - she has some personality traits that are effing annoying) and move on to the better person.  But, during the transition phase, you look back at the hot girlfriend, and think to yourself how hot your girlfriend was, and wonder if you're making the right move.

But then you move on, and you live your life happily ever after, right?  So that means that this Spider is going to replace the Epic, and once I've got 'er dialed in, I won't ever consider getting back on the Epic, right?  Let's hope so.

I've got a poll set up on the sidebar - give me some feedback on which 29er I should go after...and if you've ridden any of them, let me know what you think; likes, dislikes, etc.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe one of the hardtails from NINER. None of the other niner bikes have had any trouble. Only the JET 9, and customer service was fantastic! I am super excited about my new JET 9 in the spring. I love the hardtail I am on now. The E.M.D. nine. probably a not quite what you are looking for, but you are welcome to test ride it if you want sometime. just give me a call. Charlie has my number. If I didn't like the NINER brand so much, I would get the Specialized, or the Fisher.

    ReplyDelete