Monday, October 5, 2009

The Ups and Downs of Monday

Monday sucks.  Back to the workweek.  This particular Monday I feel dog-ass tired from the weekend, and having trouble finding motivation for work.  So I figured I would dump some thoughts here for a few minutes, try and work up the impetus to put forth some effort today.  Bear with me - I might be all over the place in this one...

...then it happened.  It's snowing again in the Vail Valley.  Big ol' flakes pouring out of the sky in Avon, while I sit here and stare out the window, wondering why it's winter already.

Mmmm...Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight" on the iPhone...good stuff.  Listen to that song - I mean really listen to it, then try and tell me that song isn't a precursor to mellower branches of modern techno music.

Keep focused.


So, here it is - snow.  Photo from a webcam at the top of Two Elk at Vail, this afternoon.  It's coming, and I'm not ready.  It's not as simple as turning the furnace on, moving the wardrobe around, and pulling out the gloves and outerwear.  Oh, no - much more complicated.

It's getting ready.

Mental preparation.

This year, it feels like getting psyched to go to the dentist.

When I first moved to the mountains the summer of 2003, I was kinda lost during the summer, just biding my time until we were blessed with that white gold.  Where has that feeling gone?  It's only the first Monday in October, and I'm already yearning for June, July and August.  Winter simply feels like an ultimatum right now - mother nature stating THOU SHALT DO WHAT I DICTATE.

Eff you, mother nature.

I just want to go home after work, throw some sweats on, and hop on the PS3 tonight.  Need to hang the bike up for a day...but I don't feel like I should, because soon enough, I'll be hanging the bike up for several months.  I feel a longing to squeeze every last second out of the two-wheelers.  Oh, I know - 'cross will be there for me for the next two months.  And I will gladly oblige and join in.  But there will eventually be a point - a crux of human desire versus human nature - where there will be a foot of snow on the ground, and I still need to, and still want to, get on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment